lunedì, marzo 30, 2009

Grass...

GRASS

Pile the bodies high at Austerlitz and Waterloo,
shovel them under and let me work
I am the grass; I cover all.
And pile them high at Gettysburg
and pile them high at Ypres and Verdun.
Shovel them under and let me work.
Two years, ten years, and passsengers ask the conductor:
What place is this?
Where are we now?

I am the grass.
Let me work.
C. Sandburg

[Impilate i corpi ad Austerlitz e Waterloo/seppeliteli e lasciatemi lavorare/io sono l'erba; io copro tutto/e impilateli a Gettysburg/e impilateli a Ypres e Verdun/seppelliteli e lasciatemi lavorare./due anni, dieci anni e i passeggeri chiedono al conducente:/che posto è questo?/dove siamo adesso?/Io sono l'erba./Lasciatemi lavorare.]

This poem was written by Sandburg, in order to invite his readers to mourn the millions of soldiers who sacrificed their lives in wars. I want to do the same, asking you to reflect upon recent wars and all the young people who are forced to take part to battles: nobody knows them, they don't have a grave and they will be soon covered by grass...

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento